January 21, 2010





Here I am, sitting at my lovely next door neighbors' "house". It's the cell phone shop/a wonderful family's home. I am half indoors, half outdoors, I can't even explain. My "house" is on the other side of the wall. The family is laughing and drinking beer next to me. I came to ask them what time the internet cafe stays open until, and they offered me beer, peanuts, and their computer to use.....A perfect example of how truly generous the Thai people are. I just said "sawatdee ka" (hello) to a guest that just arrived and they are giggling...Who knows what they say about me :) They are playing English music, probably because I am here. Today was the first day that I began to feel genuinely comfortable in Ao Luk. Up until now I have had a slight sense of fear walking around the town, which I think is probably a good thing. I came here not understanding the culture but being told by everyone at GVI that Ao Luk is extremely safe, but I needed to figure it out for myself. Today I decided that I need to find a way to exercise here. It seemed nearly impossible considering the cracked sidewalks (and when I say cracked, I mean you are nearly rock-hopping as you walk down the street). I walked down to the community center area late this afternoon and jogged around the field while all the Thai guys were playing soccer. It felt so good to exercise and feel comfortable in my surroundings. I remembered that I heard something about an aerobics class in the open market in the evenings, so I walked over and ended up joining in with all of the Thai women who nearly dragged me into the group to join them. There I was, attempting these INSANE foot stepping and arm motion routines in a group of about 30 Thai women. The steps were ridiculously confusing but I sort of got the hang of it, and was laughing at myself the whole time. As I walked home, nearly every person I passed waved hello and smiled at me. They do this every day, but this was the first time that I felt it to be genuine. I recognized the same families and dogs and cats that I walk by every day, and they recognized me. Now I realize that when people in cars honk as they pass by me, it is not creepy or intrusive but simply their way of saying hello! I also now realize that the dogs and cats do in fact have owners, and that they are not out to get me. They look scary and disease-infested to me because I am so used to seeing spoiled pets, but really they are happy little pets that hang out outside their owners' shops and homes.

.... 1 hour later.
After getting off the neighbor's computer, he told me to join the party. "Baa" poured me beer and had me sit with all of his friends while he danced around. It was very special to sit with this group of about ten Thai people where I was clearly the center of attention. Communication was obviously very minimal, but it was so much fun to hang out and attempt to converse with these lovely people....while Thai techno music was blasting in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment