February 16, 2010

Last Thursday, the five of us volunteers were invited to Pi Rai's home to cook dinner. The invitation was after a conversation I had with Pi Rai telling her that my mom wants me to bring home some yummy Thai recipes. When we got to her house, her, Pi Nui, and a woman named "Peace" were already busy preparing the food. We jumped right in and began boiling blue flowers, green leaves, and pumpkin to make natural food coloring for the dessert. We then mixed the dyes in with sticky rice flour and water, and rolled the colored dough into tiny little balls. The balls were then boiled in a pot of fresh coconut milk and sugar. For the main course we made a spicy Pad Ka Prow Gai (pad = fried, ka prow = basil, gai = chicken) and Pad Prick Gai (prick = chili). So delicious! ("aroy!"). I've already been invited back to cook Som Tam (spicy papaya salad), which is my favorite thai dish so far.
Pi Rai cutting up the pumpkin

The little dough balls before they were boiled

Pi Nui chopping up some pineappleThe whole crew (minus me) enjoying our feast on the floor :)

1 comment:

  1. WOW Linz, everything sounds so amazing! I am living vicariously through you right now. The Thai culture and your experiences are such eye openers! You are so descriptive that even I feel like I'm escaping LA for a short moment. Love u, miss u. <33333

    ReplyDelete